Celebrating A Year in Colorado!
Hooray! We just celebrated our first year in Colorado (we’ve been in Mead 9 months)! And so much as transpired since arriving here! So, here is a quick overview of some highlights of our experiences thus far:
- We arrived at our apartment in Longmont the end of February 2015 after a huge snowstorm.
- We immediately began an internship with a sister church plant, Living Rock Church, near Fort Collins, that would last until the end of October.
- In March we helped with two Easter Egg Hunts, one at Living Rock Church, and a community one here in Mead.
- In March God led us to our home in Mead, and we were able to move in the end of May.
- In March Lisa was hired as a part-time Clinical Research Coordinator at a medical clinic in Boulder as a platform for marketplace ministry and as a source of extra income to fund our new ministry.
- While continuing to intern with Living Rock Church, we immediately began to reach out to our new neighbors in Mead.
- We helped with Living Rock Church outreach events throughout the summer.
- We had a neighborhood picnic at our house to build relationships over Labor Day weekend and had around 20 adults and kids attend.
- In September we introduced Grandview Church at Mead Community Day and gave away hundreds of free snow cones and bags of popcorn to the thousands in attendance. We had a drawing for several prizes and received dozens of information cards from potential prospects.
- In October we returned to Tennessee for the HBA World Mission Conference and shared our ministry with 12 different churches and hundreds of people before the month was over.
- At the end of October Living Rock Church had a special commissioning service for us and sent us out to our church planting ministry in Mead with their blessing.
- In November Lisa and I participated in 3 days of intensive church planting training in Denver led by NAMB and Colorado Baptists.
- In December we were able to establish a church bank account and began receiving tax-deductible funds directly at: Grandview Church, PO Box 689, Mead, CO 80542
- In December we hosted a Christmas Open House in our home for our friends and neighbors and had over 20 adults and kids attend.
- In December we led our first community service at a Christmas Eve Gathering at Mead’s Town Hall and had almost 30 attend.
- In January we began working on our Grandview Church website.
- In January we began our first weekly Discovery Group in our home and have reached about 10 people thus far and have averaged around 8 in attendance each week. This study of the life, ministry, death, and resurrection of Jesus will take us through the Easter season.
- In February I began another intensive leadership training program for church planters that NAMB has designed. This new course will include 44 hours of classroom work in addition to dozens of hours of preparation and reading. This very practical program will finish in July.
So, that’s a brief summary of our craziness since arriving in Colorado a year ago! Thankfully, along the way we have had the opportunity to share Christ many dozens of times! While a spiritual harvest often comes slowly here in Colorado, we are confident it’s only a matter of time before the seed of the gospel will bear fruit and lives will begin to be transformed!
While we’ve only just begun, and there is still so much to do, we are confident of God’s call upon our lives! Having the faithful partnership of fellow Christ-followers like you praying for us and supporting us makes the promise of a spiritual harvest sure! Together, we are already making a difference in Mead, as we begin to make reproducing disciples of Jesus, and as we prepare to plant a church that will plant other churches! Thanks for taking this journey of faith and ministry with us!